Thursday, September 18, 2008

The NYT is racking them up: Roger Cohen quotes Coldplay

Cohen begins this powerful piece:

"They’re listening to Coldplay down on Wall Street:
I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own"
Then he rips into Regulartors, accountants, rating agencies and Wall Street executives:
"No better illustration exists of a culture where private gain has eclipsed the public good, public service, even public decency, and where the cult of the individual has caused the commonwealth to wither. That’s the culture we’ve lived with. It’s over now. Some new American beginning is needed."
Then back to Coldplay:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!

Yes, the death of the old is also the birth of the new. In my end is my beginning. It’s time for the best and the brightest to step forth and rediscover the public sphere. "

No comments: