Saturday, September 27, 2008

Some more insight into what bothers me about Sarah Palin

Palin's speech at the RNC was downright nasty, mocking and belittling the opinions and abilities of her opponents. OK, that's a political convention, I can forgive you for being "snarky" under those conditions.

Setting aside just for the moment the question of intelligence, Palin is totally engaged in the culture war, the divisive practice of "us" versus "them." So many blogs are talking about Palin's interview with Katie Couric. The Envelope blog on the LA Times asked readers to comment specifically on Couric's question to Palin about why she had not gotten a passport until she was 43. Palin answered: "I'm not one of those who maybe come from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduated college and their parents get them a passport and a backpack and say, 'Go off and travel the world.' Noooo. I worked all my life. In fact, I usually had two jobs all my life, until I had kids. ... I was not part of, I guess, that culture."

The following comment, just as the Betty Bowers piece about Palin "outsourcing" her child-rearing, mirrors what I think (and feel!) about Sarah Palin:

Why can't she just say that she worked, raised a family, never had the opportunity to travel before a year ago. Those would all be personal, valid reasons for not getting a passport before last year.

INSTEAD, she has to mock and criticize those who have gone out and traveled the world. And, excuse me, she was 43(?) when she got her passport? But she mocks people she calls college-age graduates whose 'parents give them a backpack and tell them to see the world.' She's saying that the large number of people who travel abroad are moneyed 'brats' whose parents foot the bill?

Sorry. I worked my way through college, worked two jobs much of my early life, and got a passport when my husband was stationed overseas. I take offense that she her statements seem to mock anyone who chose to get a passport and travel to see the world.
Why is it that Palin and her party make every comment, make every statement about someone with a different view, a derogatory comment? Their party is about divisiveness and hatred and she is a prime example of it.

Posted by: bush5186
September 26, 2008 at 11:41 AM

If Palin were allowed to be herself, might we see less snarkiness, maybe more actual insight as opposed to talking points??? Well, maybe not. But everyone, everywhere, even conservative columnists, now seem to agree that Sarah Palin is a terrible choice for VP.

No comments: